Matt Stone and Trey Parker Writing a New South Park RPG

0112_cover_curtis v3.indd

Before the launch of every new issue, Game Informer likes to tease its contents by revealing the cover art in advance.  The boys of South Park grace the cover of the January issue, as it is revealed within that THQ and Obsidian Entertainment are developing a new RPG based on the long-running cartoon series. And who better to pen the script and voice the characters than the show’s creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

Not to be confused with the upcoming XBLA exclusive, South Park: Tenorman’s Revenge, the new game is described as a “full-scale RPG” coming to Xbox 360 and PS3. You’ll take on the role of a new kid in South Park, and you’ll need to make friends and help defend the titular town from a variety of threats.

Very little else is currently known about the new South Park RPG, and while it won’t be launching until sometime in 2012, we’ll have more for you as it becomes available.

[Via 1Up]

lucassmith said Dec 1st 2011 1:48 PM

I just can’t read “Obsidian is making a South Park RPG” with a straight face

zachmartin said Dec 1st 2011 1:51 PM

It’s gotta be better than Alpha Protocol, right?

lucassmith said Dec 1st 2011 1:59 PM

I don’t know, I enjoyed that game. Sure the gameplay wasn’t…stellar, but I liked the story and enjoyed how your decisions had some weight to them.

This just seems like ah uge departure from the norm for them. Though I’m won’t make any formal judgements until it’s actually released

grimueax said Dec 1st 2011 5:03 PM

Well, Obsidian’s strength is writing, but that’s already taken care of, so who knows?

crabhammer said Dec 1st 2011 6:19 PM

This is what worries me, actually. Obsidian aren’t the best at making actual games.

robspewack said Dec 1st 2011 2:51 PM

While I’m not a huge fan of the idea that I can’t play as one of the four main characters, I will be chuffed to bits if they include the various Guinea animals as enemies in the game. It’d be startling to say the least.

Paper92 said Dec 1st 2011 2:59 PM

I wonder if they’ll use the same art style the show is shown in, all the cut-out masterpieces. The series deffinatly has a lot of lore and ground they could cover, so it seems like a really good idea

grimueax said Dec 1st 2011 5:03 PM

Best news of the day? Best news of the day.