[UPDATE] Has Xbox Live Suffered a Data Breach?

ySqL6

Following in the footsteps of our good old friend Sony, Microsoft seems to have had a data breach in their Xbox Live/Games For Windows Live systems. Users all across the internet are complaining of hacked accounts and mysterious purchases of Xbox Live Points.

The Xbox Live call centers are also experiencing a “high volume of calls”, indicating that something is, in fact, happening. On the Xbox Live forums, Microsoft customer support representatives have stated that they have “no knowledge of any ‘attack’, widespread or otherwise”.

If Microsoft has suffered a hack, the consequences could be dire – Sony is still recovering from June’s cataclysmic hack, and if the same happens to Microsoft the future of the company could be in jeopardy.

[UPDATE]: Microsoft has contacted us with an official statement regarding the situation:

We do not have any evidence Xbox LIVE has been compromised. We take the security of our service seriously and work on an ongoing basis to improve it against evolving threats.

It would appear that, at this time, Microsoft has no reason to believe they have a wide-scale breach on their hands. As always, we’ll keep you posted.

Ibuprofen said Sep 28th 2011 11:53 AM

The fanboys’ tears will be delicious if this turns out to be true.

the dude said Sep 28th 2011 12:37 PM

Was this a network hack or was it a few hacked accounts?

The psn hack was due to Sony having weak security in protecting its entire network while this seems to be people having their accounts hacked which could be due to people using the same password and screen name as they do with almost every website they start an acoount with. There’s a big difference between the two. Plus this isn’t effecting all of live members as the psn hack did

mothmanex said Sep 28th 2011 2:31 PM

It’s different, the PSN did affect everyone because it was down. But I never lost a dime from that hack.

There doesn’t exist such thing as perfect security, With luck there hasn’t actually been a hack to the network and only to the people that put their details to win “free points” or a “free month” of Xbox Live.

Wilhelm said Sep 28th 2011 11:16 PM

I was hacked for $120 in MSP. Took them a month to fix it but gave me three months xbl free. Same happened to two others I know who received nothing.

pleatedzombus said Sep 29th 2011 9:07 AM

“if the same happens to Microsoft the future of the company could be in jeopardy.”

Hyperbole much?

Paper92 said Sep 29th 2011 10:38 AM

Really hoping this isn’t true… I like to keep what little money I have on my credit card xD

Troy said Sep 29th 2011 10:50 AM

Well, my account was hacked yesterday. They purchased $188 worth of xbox live points. Paypal stated to me that they have been receiving hundreds of complaints about this. If you have any financial information linked to Xbox Live, you would be wise to remove it ASAP.

Jen said Oct 2nd 2011 12:12 AM

Me too, Troy. I had to go through my bank to get a different account number after they hacked me. It put my checking account in the negative. Not cool when rent is due in a few days! Xbox said it could take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for an investigation. They said the hacker was from a different country. If they already know this much, then why would it take 2 to 4 weeks for an investigation I wonder? I think a lot of this is happening; more than everyone realizes. They just don’t want to lose anyone’s business, in my opinion. At least Playstation shut themselves down to prevent further damage. Xbox is building a lot of mistrust in us customers by allowing this crap to continue. Why else would it take so long for an investigation? They probably have tons of account locks already from people being hacked. Sorry it happened to you too!

Sony Fanboy Hater said Sep 29th 2011 2:19 PM

XBOX Live has not been hacked simply because one or two people had their accounts compromised due to poor passwords. You Sony Tards need stop trying to make mountains out of molehills everytime you read that one person cannot logon to his Xbox Live account.

Scott said Oct 1st 2011 9:31 AM

TWO? There are way more than two that have been hacked. Get on Twitter and search fror “xbox AND hacked”. Having said that, it might not be Xbox that was hacked, it might be Windows Live… by some means, and since it’s linked to Xbox…

Jen said Oct 2nd 2011 12:23 AM

It’s not just people’s Xbox accounts that have been hacked, it is also their credit card and bank accounts being compromised. My password should have been very difficult to hack. It’s not our faults that there are dishonest people in this world. Until you can understand what it’s like to have everything you’ve earned stolen from your account, then you need to just STF up and go do some good in this world and stop kicking people when they are down.

Mickey said Oct 3rd 2011 1:06 PM

My password was very secure and I was hacked. I do think there may be something to the EA thing though.

yhBLAZED said Sep 29th 2011 5:02 PM

I think it’s people using the same passwords for their EA accounts and XBL accounts. Since after they’re hacked, their My Games list is filled with EA spoers titles. So it may be EA’s fault, not Microsoft’s.

yhBLAZED said Sep 29th 2011 5:03 PM

EA Sports* >_>

Mickey said Oct 3rd 2011 12:59 PM

Someone hacked my account this past Thursday. They bought a crap ton of Microsoft points. Now Microsoft is telling me it will be 25 days before they will return my money.

MrsMiggins said Oct 3rd 2011 1:27 PM

We’ve had the same as above – billed for points etc.

Now Xbox Live itself appears to be down. Whooooooooooops