Will Resident Evil 6 Be an FPS?

RE6

Probably not, but in a Eurogamer article, the producer of Resident Evil Masachika Kawata has asserted “The series will see a complete renovation with the next entry on every level.” And continued “But we can’t forget about all the previous entries that have led to the creation of many possibilities for the franchise.”

Resident Evil – for a time – was the standard for survival horror games. God knows the number of pantaloons I’ve soiled while awaiting each loading door to open. Each iteration since RE2 has slowly moved away from the slow burning horror to a much more action oriented style game. After the lukewarm reception of Resident Evil 5, Capcom seems like it’s trying to find itself on the RE series.

“I can’t say if we’re going to make it survival horror or a shooter, but I can say that it’ll be totally new” said Kawata.

I think it’s safe to say to Capcom that going back to their roots would not be an unwelcome change. While I appreciate experimentation and trying new things, I wouldn’t mind continuing a storyline that really embraces the original joys of Resident Evil.

Outside of these statements, Capcom has been tightlipped about the future of the franchise and what lies in store for its protagonists in Resident Evil 6. No release time frame has been set nor has a prospective platform been announced.

Paper92 said Apr 20th 2011 2:47 AM

Welp, it’s been nice knowing ya RE. Guess it’s time to move on to better things…

But really, why can’t they just take it back to the roots of the franchise? Give us that RE4 Survival horror game you guys were producing!

ogifraws said Apr 20th 2011 3:01 AM

Looks like RE5 is the last RE game I buy.

godathand said Apr 20th 2011 9:20 AM

You guys scared the shit out of me. DONT DO THAT!

I doubt it’s going to be a fps, and I have my finger crossed for return to survival horror. In my wildest dreams this new RE will reinvent the survival horror genre and revitalize it!!!!

remkai said Apr 20th 2011 11:07 AM

Wait a second. This game isn’t going to be a reboot? I mean it is going to be hard to make a cool resident evil game without Wesker.

xerexerex said Apr 20th 2011 11:56 AM

Meh. Silent Hill has been the superior survival horror series ever since it came out IMO.

pride said Apr 20th 2011 2:15 PM

If they take a page from Amnesia’s book, this could work very well. FPS survival horror is, in my opinion, far scarier than 3rd person. The limited point of view could be exactly what the franchise needs.

Ryamatsu said Apr 20th 2011 3:42 PM

I agree. Tecmo’s Deception and “D” were also good examples of good 1st person survival horror. I went old school.