Dragon Quest X Announced For The End of This Year

dragonquest

At a press conference in 2008, Yuji Horii announced the development of the heavily anticipated Dragon Quest X, a series we’ve all been familiar with for some time. However, continuing the trend of keeping the series portable was thrown out the window with the tenth iteration planned for a Wii release.

A move that Horii explained in the April 2011 issue of Nintendo Power during a segment called “Dragon Quest Through The Ages” as a draw for users who “want to play Dragon Quest on the big screen.” With the game announced as nearing completion and slated for the end of this year, Horii says they’ve taken cues from the community on certain matters such as bringing the same systems back from Dragon Quest VIII. A change that I can feel all school-girl-giddy about, now I just need to purchase a Wii.

(As a side note, I wrote “Dragon Age” every single time that I tried to write “Dragon Quest”, damn you modern video games!)

Paper92 said Apr 6th 2011 12:09 PM

Meh… does it really have to be for the Wii? I’m still going to get it because I love me some Dragon Quest, but I would love to see this as maybe a PSN download or something?

branparker said Apr 6th 2011 12:15 PM

Agreed. I shall not be repurchasing a Wii for this game, or any other!

Jo said Apr 6th 2011 12:18 PM

I agree as well. If they aren’t going to make it available for PSN or 360 just make it another DS title.

nytrik said Apr 6th 2011 12:19 PM

Ignoring the fact that I don’t own a Wii, I really feel like it’s a miss opportunity every time I see games like this hit the Wii instead of releasing on the bigger consoles. Despite the Wii’s popularity in sales, the amount of these games that will actually ever hit a home console is potentially much smaller than if it were to hit PSN, XBLA or even a full release on either of the systems. I don’t think the audience exists on the console they intend to bring it too. Market Saturation in mind again, I feel it would still be a better choice to bring it to the 3DS or the DS.

It’s fact-less speculation, but just my thoughts.

Jo said Apr 6th 2011 1:30 PM

I couldn’t agree more.

maths said Apr 6th 2011 5:10 PM

Dragon Quest is my favorite RPG series of all time, possibly my favorite series period. But… yeah. There’s just no reason for it to be on the Wii. After seeing the trailer for Ni No Kuni (http://youtu.be/68bYWUOEXs8) I can’t help but wish that it was a trailer for Dragon Quest. Assuming Level 5 is taking the reins again for DQX, it would really be incredible to see a DQ game that looked like that.

Oh well. I’ll still get it, but more often than not, just being on the Wii seriously ruins a lot of games for me.

pitman said Apr 7th 2011 8:29 AM

The only DQ I finished was IV, I played V, VIII and IX and didn’t feel like finishing them.

“Horii says they’ve taken cues from the community on certain matters such as bringing the same systems back from Dragon Quest VIII”

IX already had VIII’s system and even improved them, I loved that I could grind for skill points in 1 class and throw them in another and also the fact that some classes had shared skills that didn’t need to be individually level-up.