Microsoft on the Path to the Next Xbox

Nextbox

Microsoft has begun putting out job posting for many new positions required for the development for a new console, and they aren’t even being sneaky about it.

All of these position requests can be seen in full here, here and here. If you don’t like reading boring corporate stuff, the only thing you really need to know is that Microsoft appears to have just started development on a new console. The postings talk about needing workers that are able to stay with hardware development from the concept stages all the way to production and beyond. This implies that they haven’t gotten all that far on the concept of the new Xbox and an actual release of the new console would be far in the future.

Knowing that, it’s likely that this console cycle could actually get to a full ten year lifespan before the next one is released, which is something Microsoft and Sony have talked about shooting for in the past.

Well, readers, time to get your applications in to Microsoft and make sure to get hired so that you can leak me information about the new console from the inside. You can trust me. It’s not like I’m a game journalist or anything, right?

phxprovost said Mar 7th 2011 8:24 PM

Every time i hear about the “10 year life span” i vomit in my mouth a little. It amazes me how in this day and age where everyone needs the new latest and greatest right now….we can stomach having a VIDEO GAME console for ~10+ YEARS. But i guess hearing that Microsoft is at-least attempting to make another console is welcome news.

mlopez992 said Mar 7th 2011 8:30 PM

I think that the Kinect and the Move helped fill in the gap a little bit, and I’m sure game developers don’t mind having the same platforms to design games on for an extended period of time.

Matt Drought said Mar 7th 2011 8:32 PM

I don’t know who this guy thinks he is, but I would agree with him. Microsoft and Sony both had the same strategy for extending the life cycle. It may actually workout for them.

dac said Mar 7th 2011 9:37 PM

I think they’ll both see plummeting software sales over the next six months for both Kinect and Move. Especially Kinect.

Microsoft’s not dumb, though. I’m sure they’ve foreseen the upcoming trends for their motion controller. They’ll milk Kinect for the short term, but then focus on their next console, keeping backwards compatibility with Kinect.

masterofunlocking said Mar 8th 2011 12:25 AM

Do not be surprised if Microsoft said they will make almost the whole library backwards compatible and then do only 59% of it and then saying “fuck it, it’s more than half”.

yhBLAZED said Mar 8th 2011 4:14 AM

I disagree. Kinect is still selling a lot, and third party devs are just getting ready (see: Gunstringer). The potential is there, it just hasn’t been harnessed by first party devs.

Matt Drought said Mar 8th 2011 9:43 AM

I think if the companies keep pushing for developers to make games for the new hardware it could actually stand a chance. But I agree with you, the support after the initial launch seems very minimal.

poke50uk said Mar 8th 2011 5:26 AM

*returns from Rome*

I know it exists

I believe the nxtbox is happening, and it will have bluray.. and probably will be an upgrade to the current xbox, but not seem like a new console. They will bring out a sort of N64 style RAM pack – but of course not RAM upgrade.. but something similar.. probably the old Kinect Dev Kit with actual prosessing power on board.

MS did well out of bringing out the xbox a year before the competition, they will be doing the same again but with the hardware ironed out this time!

dryguy said Mar 8th 2011 8:22 AM

This is probably the most brilliant piece of gaming journalism I have ever read. It may also be the only piece of gaming journalism, but who’s counting? Well done!